Friday, June 4, 2010

The City that never sleeps

I am unable to fall back to sleep tonight, maybe from the heat or the fact I went to bed early, that is at least early for here in Spain. The heat here is unlike any other I have felt. Everyday the temp rises to 90 degrees or above. The mornings provide some relief but by 1:00 it is impossible to be outside. It does not cool down until late in the night and that's when Madrid really comes a live.
The night life here is also unlike any other place I have known. Traditionally, only a small dinner is eaten at 9:00. After that people meet in the streets. The parks and plazas are full of people ranging from all ages. Even Small kids here stay up way past my bedtime in the United States. For young people, it is not strange to stay out until well past 4:00 in the morning. One night we left a club at 3:00 am to head for home and the line was still half way around the block just to get into the club. I think Madrid should be called the city that never sleeps.
Since school starts at 8:30 am, I find it hard to stay up much past 11:00 on a week night, the Spanish night life is just too much for me but I am still trying to take it all in. Our classes in school are very small. Today only half of my class showed up, which made the grad total of students in our class five. With small classes we are all given the chance to speak and practice our spanish.
Today, Ileana and I also started to plan our trip for after school. We bought our ticket to Rome and an eurail pass. This weekend we plan to take a day trip to Toledo. Also I would love to see other parts of Spain but the tickets are very expensive and my money seems to be disappearing even faster than I had imagined. Tomorrow we are going to go out and see some more sites. When never know exactly where we are going but our long walks have taken us to some amazing places in the city. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment